Do you need a router with FTTP?

Just wondering if you still need a modem or router with FTTP? I won’t have a phone line anymore so can I ditch the router?

Hi Nathan

Though FTTP is very different compared to your ordinary broadband services i.e. ADSL, FTTC, GEA it does still require a router for two main reasons:

1. The service requires a device to authenticate with it in order to establish an internet connection.
  2. There needs to be a device on the network that can route traffic from A to B via both external and internal (DHCP) IP Addresses.

Hope this helps!

Olly

Olly is correct. You will need a router. Your provider should provide you with something, but if you want to get one of your own, the main thing you need to ensure the router has is an ETHERNET WAN. FTTP services are provided using Ethernet connections, so this is a must have if you buy your own.

The other thing to make sure is that depending on what FTTP service you go for is what the WIfi standard will provide. As an example, if you have a 1Gbps FTTP service, but only have a 2.4Ghz Wifi router on standard 802.11a, chances are you’ll only be able to get it to 60Mbps over that Wifi.

Here’s a really good article but advice is check the specs of the router. https://www.actiontec.com/wifihelp/evolution-wi-fi-standards-look-802-11abgnac/